Master of Library and Information Studies – 2014
University of Alberta
Bachelor of Arts, Major in International Relations – 2011
University of British Columbia, Okanagan
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Christiansen, Erik. “Don’t Make Me Type: A Study of Students’ Perceptions of Library Catalogues on Tablet Computers.”Partnership: The Canadian Journal of Library of Information Practice and Research, vol. 10, no. 1, 2015.
Professional and Other Publications
- Christiansen, E., Dahlqvist, C., Deeke, A., Hays, L., Mallon, M., Weaver, K., & Yoshida, A. (2017, December 3). Making new connections: Librarians meetup at ISSOTL 2017 [Blog post]. International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- Christiansen, E., & McNutt, K. (2016). The starter kit [Communications Toolkit]. Alberta Open Educational Resources Initiative.
- McNutt, K., & Christiansen, E. (2016). The champions toolkit [Communications Toolkit]. Alberta Open Educational Resources Initiative.
- Christiansen, E., McNally, M. (2017, October 12). Open enough? Choices and consequences when transitioning from closed to open resources and courses. Poster session presented at the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2017 Conference, Calgary, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2017, April 29). Open, get ready! Public and academic libraries’ support for open education in Canada. Paper presented at the Alberta Library Conference, Jasper, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, April). Don’t make me type: A study of students’ perceptions of library catalogues on tablet computers. Poster presented at the Alberta Library Conference, Jasper, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2018, January 1). Open enough? Lightning talk presented at the Students Association of Mount Royal University (SAMRU) OER Days, Calgary, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2017, December 12). Openly obsessed: Open educational resources policy in western Canada & conceptualizing openness in higher education. Lightning talk event hosted by the Mount Royal Library Faculty Scholarship Sub-Committee, Calgary, AB.
- Da Rosa, L., & Christiansen, E. (2017, October 10). Riddell library and learning centre: Spaces, technology, and support for faculty. Workshop roundtable session given at the Mount Royal Faculty Association Fall PD Day, Calgary, AB.
- McNally, M. & Christiansen, E. (2016, December 7). Choices and consequences in transitioning from closed to open resources and courses. Presented at the Open Education in Action Conference, Maskwacis Cultural College, Maskwacis, AB. Invited.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, November 24). Everything is sharable: Why open educational resources are critical to lifelong learning and the sharing economy. Workshop given at the Code4Lib Alberta Conference, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- McNutt, K., & Christiansen, E. (2016, November 9). Alberta OER toolkits: Goals and objectives. Presented at the OER in and Across Disciplines Conference, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB.
- Shepstone, C., Smith, E., & Christiansen, E. (2016, October 16). Open educational practices at MRU. Presented at the Open Education Conference, Maskwacis Cultural College, Maskwacis, AB.
- Christiansen, E., & Popowich, S. (2016, June 14). Getting started with static hosting using GitHub Pages and Reveal.JS. Workshop given at Code4Lib Spring Meeting, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, April). In the know: Using Google alerts and Gmail filters to create your own personal archive. Workshop given at Technologies in Education SLAM, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Carruthers, A., MacLean, L., Christiansen, E., & Marshal, K. (2016, March). Speaker’s corner ‘the school to work transition’. Presentation given at the School of Library and Information Studies, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB. Invited.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, February). Using Google Tour Builder for education. Workshop given at the Harry Ainlay High School PD Day, Edmonton Public Schools, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2015, November). Multimedia streaming in higher education. Presentation Given at the Code4Lib Alberta Unconference, Edmonton Public Library, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, August). Internet safety and security in an academic environment. Workshop give at the International Student Orientation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, February). Students’ perceptions of library catalogues on tablet computers. Paper presented at the Forum for Information Professionals, Edmonton, AB.
Editorial Activities and Scholarly Service
- Peer Reviewer (July 2015 – Present), Partnership: The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research.
- Peer Reviewer (November 2016 – Present), Reference Services Review.
- Abstract Reviewer, Program Planning Committee (November 2017 – March 2018), Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL) Conference
- Abstract Peer Reviewer (May – April 2017) International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL) Conference
Other Scholarly Communication and Output
- Blog (2013 – Present), Tech Bytes, https://www.tech-bytes.net. Write articles discussing trends in the mobile technology and telecommunications industries.
- Blog (2015 – Present), https://erikchristiansen.net. Write articles discussing my scholarship and teaching
Awards and Recognition
- Award: Award for Professional Recognition, 2014. Library and Information Studies Students’ Association (LISSA).
- Award: Induction into Beta Phi Mu International Library and Information Studies Honor Society, 2014. GPA based.
- Scholarship: University of Alberta Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship, 2013. University of Alberta. $10,800. Competitive.
- Scholarship: Alberta Learning Graduate Student Scholarship, 2014. Government of Alberta. $3,000.
- Award: Original Presentation and Research Excellence, 2010. Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Conference, UBC Vancouver. Competitive.
- Grant: Irving K. Barber Undergraduate Research Grant, 2009. University of British Columbia. $8,000. Competitive.
Tutorials and Teaching Materials
Mount Royal University
- Library Guides – Psychology, 2016 – Present
University of Alberta
- Screencast – Considerations When Using OER, 2016
- Interactive tutorial – OER Copyright Considerations: An Introduction, 2016
- Interactive tutorial – OER Copyright Considerations In Practice, 2016
- Screencast – Editing eClass (Moodle) Links, 2015/2016
- Screencast – MediaCore Video Streaming Platform (4 screencasts), 2015/2016
- 2015 International Insect Hormones Workshop – This biological sciences conference took place in Crete on July 2015. I was the project lead. I designed the site’s structure and created all graphic design elements. In addition, I worked closely with our central IT department at the University of Alberta to integrate a new online payment and registration platform. The website was built on the Drupal 7 CMS.
- MediaCore Video Streaming Server – I was involved in the design, implementation, training, and information architecture of the campus’ first video streaming solution.
- SLIS Capping Project – I created this website as part of my final capping project for my Master of Library and Information Studies at the University of Alberta. It outlines some of my coursework, work experience, and professional engagement during the program.
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians, 2017 – Present
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2016 – Present
- Beta Phi Mu LIS Honor Society, 2014 – Present
- Library Association of Alberta, 2014 – 2016
- Special Libraries Association, 2013 – 2016
Workshops and Conferences
- 2018, Book Study, Mount Royal University Academic Development Centre, Calgary: Participate in a group book study of Small Teaching by James M. Lang
- 2017, SoTL Reading Group, Mount Royal University, Calgary: Participate in, and lead, group discussions on recent academic literature from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- 2017, International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Calgary, AB: Attended various conference sessions on teaching approaches and theories in higher education and presented a research poster.
- 2017, Association of College and Research Libraries Conference, Baltimore, MD: Attended a workshop on open access and scholarly communication, as well as sessions on library space design and information literacy instruction.
- 2016 – 2017, Mount Royal University Mentorship Program: Consulted regularly with my colleague Karen Manerin to obtain feedback on my teaching approaches and my research program.
- 2016 – 2017, Mount Royal Faculty Association Teaching Triad Program: Participated in informal meetings with fellow colleagues to obtain feedback on teaching approaches.
- 2018 – Present, Certs-School, Data Analytics Series: Series of courses on data analytics using Excel, R, Python, and Tableau
- 2017, Classroom Communications Series, Mount Royal University Academic Development Centre: Developed my teaching presence and communication skills by participating in workshop activities with faculty across campus.
- 2013- Present, Team Treehouse: Developed computer programming skills through online coursework.
- 2016, Introduction to Government Information Course
- 2015, Statistics for Mere Mortals: Completed an Excel-based statistical analysis course through the Canvas network
Hobbies and Interests
- Usability for mobile and wearable devices
- Web and app development (JS, Swift, HTML, CSS)
- Open educational resources and open access publishing
- Wrist watch collecting (it’s a problem)
- Playing my guitar (Fender Stratocaster)
- Drawing and painting (watercolor)
- Reader of political history, international relations, technology, community and culture, brain science, health and fitness, graphic design, business and commerce, science fiction, westerns, mysteries