Master of Library and Information Studies – 2014
University of Alberta
Bachelor of Arts, Major in International Relations – 2011
University of British Columbia, Okanagan
- Open Education (open educational resources, open educational practices, open pedagogy)
- Education technology
- Web usability (especially on mobile devices)
- Information literacy
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Christiansen, Erik. “Don’t Make Me Type: A Study of Students’ Perceptions of Library Catalogues on Tablet Computers.”Partnership: The Canadian Journal of Library of Information Practice and Research, vol. 10, no. 1, 2015.
Professional and Other Publications
- Christiansen, E., Dahlqvist, C., Deeke, A., Hays, L., Mallon, M., Weaver, K., & Yoshida, A. (2017, December 3). Making new connections: Librarians meetup at ISSOTL 2017 [Blog post]. International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- Christiansen, E., & McNutt, K. (2016). The starter kit [Communications Toolkit]. Alberta Open Educational Resources Initiative.
- McNutt, K., & Christiansen, E. (2016). The champions toolkit [Communications Toolkit]. Alberta Open Educational Resources Initiative.
- Christiansen, E & McNally, B. (2018, April 24). Open enough? Eight factors to consider when transitioning from closed to open resources and courses: A conceptual framework. Paper presented at the Open Education Global conference, Delft, Netherlands.
- Christiansen, E. & McNally, B. (2017, October 12). Open enough? Choices and consequences when transitioning from closed to open resources and courses. Poster session presented at the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning conference, Calgary, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2017, April 29). Open, get ready! Public and academic libraries’ support for open education in Canada. Paper presented at the Alberta Library Conference, Jasper, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, April). Don’t make me type: A study of students’ perceptions of library catalogues on tablet computers. Poster presented at the Alberta Library Conference, Jasper, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2018, May 23). Creating information literacy competencies for psychology undergraduates. Webinar delivered to the Psychology Librarians Canada group.
- Christiansen, E. (2018, January 1). Open enough? Lightning talk presented at the Students Association of Mount Royal University (SAMRU) OER Days, Calgary, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2017, December 12). Openly obsessed: Open educational resources policy in western Canada & conceptualizing openness in higher education. Lightning talk event hosted by the Mount Royal Library Faculty Scholarship Sub-Committee, Calgary, AB.
- Da Rosa, L., & Christiansen, E. (2017, October 10). Riddell library and learning centre: Spaces, technology, and support for faculty. Workshop roundtable session given at the Mount Royal Faculty Association Fall PD Day, Calgary, AB.
- McNally, B. & Christiansen, E. (2016, December 7). Choices and consequences in transitioning from closed to open resources and courses. Presented at the Open Education in Action Conference, Maskwacis Cultural College, Maskwacis, AB. Invited.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, November 24). Everything is sharable: Why open educational resources are critical to lifelong learning and the sharing economy. Workshop given at the Code4Lib Alberta Conference, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- McNutt, K., & Christiansen, E. (2016, November 9). Alberta OER toolkits: Goals and objectives. Presented at the OER in and Across Disciplines Conference, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB.
- Shepstone, C., Smith, E., & Christiansen, E. (2016, October 16). Open educational practices at MRU. Presented at the Open Education Conference, Maskwacis Cultural College, Maskwacis, AB.
- Christiansen, E., & Popowich, S. (2016, June 14). Getting started with static hosting using GitHub Pages and Reveal.JS. Workshop given at Code4Lib Spring Meeting, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, April). In the know: Using Google alerts and Gmail filters to create your own personal archive. Workshop given at Technologies in Education SLAM, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Carruthers, A., MacLean, L., Christiansen, E., & Marshal, K. (2016, March). Speaker’s corner ‘the school to work transition’. Presentation given at the School of Library and Information Studies, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB. Invited.
- Christiansen, E. (2016, February). Using Google Tour Builder for education. Workshop given at the Harry Ainlay High School PD Day, Edmonton Public Schools, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2015, November). Multimedia streaming in higher education. Presentation Given at the Code4Lib Alberta Unconference, Edmonton Public Library, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, August). Internet safety and security in an academic environment. Workshop give at the International Student Orientation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Christiansen, E. (2014, February). Students’ perceptions of library catalogues on tablet computers. Paper presented at the Forum for Information Professionals, Edmonton, AB.
Editorial Activities and Scholarly Service
- Peer Reviewer (July 2015 – Present), Partnership: The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research.
- Peer Reviewer (November 2016 – Present), Reference Services Review.
- Abstract Reviewer, Program Planning Committee (November 2017 – March 2018), Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL) Conference
- Abstract Peer Reviewer (May – April 2017) International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL) Conference
Other Scholarly Communication and Output
- Blog (2013 – Present), Tech Bytes, https://www.tech-bytes.net. Write articles discussing trends in the mobile technology and telecommunications industries.
- Blog (2015 – Present), https://erikchristiansen.net. Write articles discussing my scholarship and teaching
Awards and Recognition
- Award: Award for Professional Recognition, 2014. Library and Information Studies Students’ Association (LISSA).
- Award: Induction into Beta Phi Mu International Library and Information Studies Honor Society, 2014. GPA based.
- Scholarship: University of Alberta Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship, 2013. University of Alberta. $10,800. Competitive.
- Scholarship: Alberta Learning Graduate Student Scholarship, 2014. Government of Alberta. $3,000.
- Award: Original Presentation and Research Excellence, 2010. Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Conference, UBC Vancouver. Competitive.
- Grant: Irving K. Barber Undergraduate Research Grant, 2009. University of British Columbia. $8,000. Competitive.
Tutorials and Teaching Materials
Mount Royal University
- Library Guides – Psychology, 2016 – Present
University of Alberta
- Screencast- Considerations When Using OER, 2016
- Interactive tutorial – OER Copyright Considerations: An Introduction, 2016
- Interactive tutorial – OER Copyright Considerations In Practice, 2016
- This biological sciences conference took place in Crete on July 2015.
- Designed the site’s structure and created all graphic design elements.
- Built on Drupal 7
- Created this website as part of my final capping project for my Master of Library and Information Studies at the University of Alberta.