I’ve played the electric guitar since 2005. I’ve had some lessons, but I’m mostly self-taught. I’d like to take more music theory and improvisation lessons in the future – particularly jazz. My main guitar is a 2006 Fender Stratocaster in cream yellow.
Computers and electronics
Tinkering with technology is a longstanding (and eclectic) hobby. I’ve built desktop computers, created entertainment centres, built robots, etc. Over the past few years I’ve made great use of the Raspberry Pi simply because it’s such a versatile and well supported platform.
I love video games and I’ve been playing them since I was a kid. Unfortunately, I own more than I can probably ever complete. My goal these days is to beat more games than I buy. My game collection can be viewed on Grouvee.
I like wrist watches. But, it’s an expensive hobby. I generally stay away from vintage watches – since the repair costs can be astronomical. For me, the history of timekeeping and men’s style is fascinating.
Drawing and watercolour painting
I read primarily non-fiction, but there’s a few fiction titles that had a big impact on me. Generally, I always have at least one book on the go. I’ve listed a few of my favourite books below…
- 1984 – George Orwell
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R. Covey
- The Age of Jackson – Arthur M. Schlesinger
- The Clash of Civilizations – Samuel P. Huntington
- The Conquest of Happiness – Bertrand Russel
- The Dark Knight Returns – Frank Miller
- Hegemony or Survival – Noam Chomsky
- The Innovators – Walter Isaacson
- Lucifer’s Hammer – Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
- Manufacturing Consent – Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman
- Made to Stick – Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- Make it Stick – Peter C. Brown
- The Organized Mind – Daniel J. Levetin
- The Paranoid Style in American Politics – Richard Hofstadter
- The Peter Principle – Laurence J. Peter
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg
- Prison Notebooks – Antonio Gramsci
- Public Parts – Jeff Jarvis
- The Righteous Mind – Jonathan Haidt
- Smarter Than You Think – Clive Thompson
- Star Wars: Heir to the Empire – Timothy Zahn
- V for Vendetta – Alan Moore
- The Watchmen – Alan Moore
- Who Owns the Future? – Jaron Lanier
- The Wretched of the Earth – Franz Fannon